If you’re looking for a crowd pleasing appetizer, then fish cakes are the perfect combination of savory, crispy, fluffy, and light! These meatless little puffs of joy are filled with chunks of cod (salt fish) and monuments of fresh herbs. This Bajan treat is an island-wide favorite, which is commonly served at parties and events. Impress your guests at your next dinner party or family gathering with these delectable little fish cake bites 🙂
Fishcakes Recipe from Bajan Cooking in a Nutshell by Sally Miller
Instructions to deliciousness:
- 1/2lb/250g boneless salt fish
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon pepper sauce (optional, i personally love a kick of pepper and i use 3 tablespoons)
- 1 1/4 cups 6oz/185g all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup 4floz/125ml milk
- 1/2 cup 4floz/125ml water
- 1oz/30g butter
- 1/4 cup/2-3 finely chopped spring onions
- Sprigs thyme, parsley, marjoram picked from the stems and finely chopped,
- Freshly ground black pepper, white pepper and salt to taste
- Place the salt fish in a saucepan with 6 cups of water. Bring to the boil for a few minutes, pour off the first set of water and bring it to the boil a second time in a fresh 4 cups of water for 1/2 hour. Check the saltiness of the fish. It should be salty but not overly so. If it is, you may need to boil it up a third time.
- Shred the salt fish with your fingers or a fork.
- Put all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir vigorously until a thick batter is formed.
- Deep fry teaspoonfuls over a medium heat, until golden brown. Avoid the out side of the fish cakes burning before the middle is well cooked by carefully monitoring the heat.
- Drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Serve hot with Marie Rose Sauce or pepper sauce. (I recommend serving with the marie rose sauce for an amazing complimentary flavor).
Sauce Marie Rose
1/2 cup 4floz/125ml mayonnaise
2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Red Caribbean pepper sauce or Tobasco sauce to taste
1 teaspoon sugar
I hope you enjoy, Thank you so much for visiting Bajan Bite! 🙂