This one is for the seafood lovers! I had fun making these shrimp tacos and adding my little twists, which turned out incredibly tasty. These tacos are filled with creamy guacamole, a zesty salsa, tasty shrimp and sweet plantains! If you are allergic to shelled fish, other great substitutes include fried flying flying fish or dolphin a.k.a mahi mahi.
Here is the recipe to deliciousness. Recipe makes 3 tacos (serving for one person).
- 12 pieces of shrimp
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- Half of a large ripe sweet plantain
- For the tomato salsa:
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 table spoon red onion
- 1/4 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- black pepper
- salt (optional)
- For the guacamole:
- sprigs of fresh cilantro
- 1 ripe hass avocado
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice (or to taste)
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- cajun seasoning
- black pepper
- Sour cream dressing to garnish (optional):
- 1/4 cup of sour cream
- 2 table spoons of fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Soft Taco Shells:
- store bought soft taco shells
- oil for frying (optional)
How To: Make your shrimp tacos
- If using frozen shrimp, let it thaw completely. Season shrimp with a few dashes of Old Bay Seasoning and set shrimp aside.
- Cut plantain diagonally and fry until brown on each side (about 7 minutes in total).
- Salsa: Roughly chop tomato, onion and mince garlic. Add to a small bowl and add lemon juice, with a dash of black pepper and salt. Mix ingredients together and set aside.
- Guacamole: Finely chop cilantro. Peel the avocado and remove the pit. Mash avocado in a bowl with a fork and then add chopped cilantro along with the lemon juice. Then add about 3 dashes of each: garlic powder, onion powder and cajun seasoning. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Mix all ingredients together. If guacamole needs more flavour, add an additional dash of each seasoning. Set aside.
- Sour cream dressing to garnish: Finely chop cilantro. Stir onion powder, garlic powder, and chopped cilantro into sour cream to give it a little punch!
- Heat about 1 tsp of oil in a sauce pan and then add shrimp. Toss shrimp and cook for about 4 minutes until opaque and cooked through.
- Taco shells: To give the soft shell tacos a little crisp texture without being “hard taco shells” I fried them on each side for about 10 seconds each. Watch these closely as they brown VERY quickly! I put just enough oil to cover the base of the frying pan.
How To: Assemble your beauties
- Fill your 3 taco shells evenly with shrimp.
- Then fill with plantains.
- Then top with salsa, followed lastly with your guacamole (I like a-lot :))
- Drizzle sour cream mix over tacos
- Devour and enjoy!
As always, thank you for visiting Bajan Bite. I hope you enjoyed the read and tag me @bajanbite on Instagram or Facebook when you make these beauts! 🙂