Cooking Breadfruit is as easy as 1,2,3! This ‘ground provision’ (we Bajans classify this as a vegetable staple food group) can be cooked in an array of styles. Contrary to the name, this is a savory food typically served as a side or main dish for a meal. Breadfruit can be served roasted, baked in pies, in cou-cou form, sautéed, boiled, as chips, the list goes on. In this post I will share 2 of my personal recipes – Garlic Sautéed Breadfruit & Seasoned Baked Breadfruit – which serve up unbelievably satisfying dishes as a tasty breadfruit side. For more information on breadfruit check out one of my previous blog posts here: Breadfruit Post
To cook one breadfruit two ways, I first cut the breadfruit in half, remove the pit (the center), and chop into cubes as pictured below.
Garlic Sautéed Breadfruit
- 1/2 boiled breadfruit chopped (as pictured)
- 2 tsp garlic butter (I like Sunflower)
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- Half small onion, finely chopped
- Sprigs of thyme
- Sprigs of cilantro and parsley finely chopped
- 1 tsp of cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- 1 tsp olive oil (if needed)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Kale/spinach (optional)
- Boil breadfruit for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to ensure all the breadfruit is cooked evenly. Strain the water after breadfruit is cooked.
- Melt butter in a saucepan, cook garlic and onions until translucent and add thyme.
- Add breadfruit, coat in mixture, add cilantro, parsley, onion powder, cajun seasoning, salt and pepper to taste and olive oil if needed.
- Cook for 10 minutes, stirring in intervals to coat all the breadfruit. If using kale or spinach in this recipe, I cook these for the last 2 minutes in the dish.
- Voila that’s it!
Seasoned Baked Breadfruit
- 1/4 tsp of cumin
- 1/2 tsp of paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2-3 tbsp of olive oil
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- Boil breadfruit for 20 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to ensure all the breadfruit is cooked evenly. Strain the water after the breadfruit is cooked.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a bowl mix the breadfruit, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and oil.
- Base baking pan with 1 tsp of oil, and place breadfruit mix in the pan and bake. At 20 minutes, toss and turn the breadfruit and place back in oven. Total baking time is 40 minutes uncovered.
- Remove from oven, and enjoy!
This post is dedicated to the Slow Food Challenge which encouraged Barbadians for the past week (ending tomorrow September 9th) to participate in supporting the local agriculture and food production in Barbados. My efforts for this challenge will be posted separately next week. For more information on their mission to support the local community, visit their website here: Slow Food Barbados